Pages

Friday 3 December 2021

ESOL - WONDER

Magandang umaga everyone. For the past weeks, we have been focusing on the book wonder. We've started to read this book in term 3, but because of the sudden lockdown, we didn't have the chance to complete it. Luckily, we still have another chance to complete the whole thing and we even get to finish the movie. Our main task for it was to find out what are the differences between the movie and the book, and our reason. I thought that reading this book would be a bit boring, but I was wrong because I quite enjoyed both the movie and even the book. 

Differences of the book and its ending :

Book 

They describe a new dog named Bear in the book. The principal was aware of Auggie's involvement in the fight following the fight, but this did not occur in the book. Julian was expelled for two weeks in the book. In the film, he was only expelled for one week. In addition, the first teacher in the book was a woman, whereas Mr. Brown was the first teacher in the film.


Movie 

The producers of the film do not show you the new puppy named Bear. Auggie sits in the back in the movie, but in the book, he sits in the front. Furthermore, in the film, Summer wishes to shake Auggie's hand. However, in the book, this does not occur. Auggie's hearing aids were lost, according to the book. Also, in the film, Auggie gets into a fight with 7th graders in the woods, which Auggie and his friend win.


Ending

Book - Auggie's mother says in his ear, "Auggie, you truly are a marvel. You are a marvel, "When she does, she's amazed at how well August has adjusted to middle school despite a year of struggle and suffering. He's figured out how to fight his own battles.


Movie - Everyone cheers Auggie as he delivers a voiceover narration (quoting the last precept Mr. Browne gave in class) at the end of the film "Be kind because everyone is going through a difficult time. And all you have to do to find out who people are is to look."


One of the most notable discrepancies in the storyline involves his hearing aids, which are completely absent from the film. His hearing aids fall off and he loses them when the big kids bully them. Getting the hearing aids in the first place was a major deal because he doesn't have them and doesn't want them at the start of the book because he thinks he can hear great and is afraid they will make him look stupid. He fails the hearing component of his annual exam and is fitted for special hearing aids. He first despises them and refuses to wear them, but once they are activated, he discovers how awful his hearing was. Following that, he has no qualms about wearing them in public.


What I enjoyed about the film was that it followed the same plot as the original, although it omitted a few key parts. Maybe it's just me, but I didn't care for the actor's makeup because it made me see Auggie in a whole other light. They missed the HEARING AIDS and the key things in the nature retreat trip, which is one of my three points of distinction! Because we didn't know how he got them, how he felt, or how his mother would react if he lost them, the hearing aids were the thing that made the entire nature retreat exciting and emotional. They didn't notice Amos slamming into Eddie and Auggie's jumper ripping in half. I was disappointed in how they staged that moment. Auggie's sweatshirt had a small rip in it. I expected Daisy's death to make me cry, but it didn't.


Neither the book nor the film became favorites of mine, and I'm not sure I'd watch or read either one again. Reading Normal made me appreciate Wonder's work much more. To teach children to treat everyone with kindness, regardless of their appearance, because everyone is going through difficulties, some of which are more visible than others. That doesn't imply you should be extra nice to individuals with "disabilities," but rather that you should be nice to everyone and attempt to see things from their point of view. This ties in with the final statement, which states that everyone deserves a standing ovation because everyone has faced difficulties in life.


To be honest, I think it's a tie. Neither one, as it was stated, "took my heart." Though, in the end, I think I preferred the book. It provided additional perspectives than the film, which I appreciated. 


Finally, I respect the author's courage in writing about this. After the experience she had with her kid, she assumed responsibility for looking into it and conducting research. It's a major deal if it helps people treat others with kindness, regardless of how they appear or what their background is. I wouldn't discourage anyone from reading it, and I believe it would be beneficial to children.


In extra, I've also created a Venn diagram to make this book extra special. Hope you enjoyed it.


                

1 comment:

  1. This is a very comprehensive comparison between the film and the book, Lhysette. I enjoyed reading it. Are all these thoughts your own?

    ReplyDelete

To support my learning I ask you to comment as follows:
1. Something positive - something you like about what I have shared.
2. Thoughtful - A sentence to let us know you actually read/watched or listened to what I had to say
3. Something helpful - how have you connected with my learning? Give me some ideas for next time or ask me a question.