Pages

Thursday 22 August 2019

Maori - Hangi

Yesterday in our Maori class we make a presentation that show how to make hangi but the first thing that we did is we watch a video that show some Maori people how to make the hangi in real life, but if you are going to make the hangi as a presentation you can work with someone or you can work individual. So me and Skyler my friend decided to make the hangi presentation together, I have so much fun making it with Skyler because we work together pretty well that help us to finish it in time so I'm very proud of my group.

 If you are not sure what is hangi well is a traditional Maori style of cooking for them that has been used for hundreds of years but it's till use throughout New Zealand because making hangi is very spiritual for the Maori people and they are inspired by the nature and it was also link to Matariki because Maori people make it during Niu la ( New year ) and after they are all cooked they offered to the spirits,why because each kai ( food / fruits ) they thought that it was a gift form Tangaroa ( the god of the sea ) and the Tane Mahuta ( god of the forest ), and they only take some food from the land and the sea but before they took some food they always pray for thanking the nature.That's how Maori culture work if you are not really sure about it.

How to make Hangi?




Doing this activity was really fun because I learn a lot of things like how to make it step by step and why is it very important to Maori culture and some of the History of Hangi. If someone ask me if I would like to try it? I will say No because it will take a lot of time to cook like I have to wait for 3 to 4 hours and also it's because you will loose some patient waiting for it to cook and also there's a lot of step that you have to follow. But after all it was really fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment

To support my learning I ask you to comment as follows:
1. Something positive - something you like about what I have shared.
2. Thoughtful - A sentence to let us know you actually read/watched or listened to what I had to say
3. Something helpful - how have you connected with my learning? Give me some ideas for next time or ask me a question.