Pages

Tuesday 7 September 2021

Tongan Language Week - Day 1

 Malo e lelei, this week we are learning more about the history of Tonga. For this new topic we have new things to research from, there are 5 different activities we can do. On the first day of learning from their history, well we have to research the meaning behind each quarter in the Coat of Arms of Tonga designed in 1875. I was amazed when I learned about the meaning behind it, and also even learn some new words by re-reading the text all over again. 

Fun fact: Tonga is the only kingdom in the Pacific to have a monarchy :)

In 1875, with the constitution created, the arms of Tonga (ko e Sila 'o Tonga) were developed. 

The three swords represent the king of Tonga, particularly the Tu'i Tonga, Tu'i Ha'atakalaua, and the current Tu'i kanokupolu. Under King Siaosi Tupou I Tonga was united, who then formed the first formal government and also organized the arms coat. The olive branch dove symbolizes God's willingness to rule forever in Tonga (the dove and olive branch are taken from the story of Noah and the Great Flood in the Bible). 

The three stars represent Tonga's principal island groups, Tongatapu, Vava'u, and Ha'apai. The Crown represents Tonga's king, the sovereign monarchy. The bottom of the scroll says, 'God and Tonga are my heritage,' Ko e Tonga Mo Tonga Hoku, Tofi Non, in Tongan.

No comments:

Post a Comment

To support my learning I ask you to comment as follows:
1. Something positive - something you like about what I have shared.
2. Thoughtful - A sentence to let us know you actually read/watched or listened to what I had to say
3. Something helpful - how have you connected with my learning? Give me some ideas for next time or ask me a question.