Pages

Saturday 26 June 2021

Home Economics ( Turon )

 Yesterday, in Home Economics was kind of a bit different since we are now allowed to cook our own choice and work in pairs. There are 6 pairs who will be cooking on the first week and then the others will be cooking on the following week. I and my pair thought of making one of the Filipino desserts, just to make it more different instead of cooking some cupcakes and some cookies. I got the idea from my sister, and my mum they both helped me to remember the steps and the thing we need to for them. This dish is called  Brown sugar-dusted turon wrapped in a spring roll wrapper and cooked. Other fillings, such as jackfruit (langka), sweet potato, mango, cheddar cheese, and coconut, can be combined with the banana. Turon is a popular Filipino snack and street dish. For short fried roll banana, the reason why we made this was because I and my pair run out of ideas so we thought of looking at some Filipino dish just to make things more interesting. My stakeholders were my friends, I picked them because they all don't have any dietary issues which are good. They are actually not a picky eater, which makes things easier for me. 

Ingredients :

- Bananas 

- Brown sugar

- Spring rolls pastry 

Method:

  • Prepare the wrappers by peeling them apart, then cover the peeled wrappers with a

  • damp paper towel to keep them moist.

  • Peel the bananas and cut each into halves lengthwise.

  • Place the brown sugar into a flat dish and roll the slices of banana completely covering

  • each slice with a generous amount of brown sugar.

  • Place a banana slice along the end of the pastry closer to you.

  • Fold both sides (left and

    right) of the wrapper inward towards the banana.

  • Use water to moisten the wrappers so it is easier to fold.

  • Now roll it towards the other end away from you. Use water again to seal the edge.

  • Heat oil in a frying pan over low heat. Once the oil is hot,

  • add some of the wrapped bananas and fry for 3-5 minutes on each side or

  • until the wrapper turns golden brown.

  • Drain them on a paper towel and serve while warm and the wrapper is crispy.



When we were making it, Qyn's job was to roll the bananas into the brown sugar, then I do the rest. I was happy that she cooperate with me and she helped me do the other things. While I'm busy frying it, she took care of other things such as doing the dishes and cleaning the table. The recipe was really easy, and it only takes 35 minutes to do it. Because 20 minutes on preparing things, and 15 minutes of cooking. I will probably recommend this to other people because it's not just it was really easy to make but it also tastes good. The only thing we thought was a problem was the pastry was frozen, well it won't be easy to separate them because it was frozen. So what we did was we put it into hot water, and just leave it there while we prepare the other things. Instead of waiting for it, we both got back to our jobs so that we finished them early. My partner and I don't have to panic about going out late for a lunch break.


So when we finished cooking it, I was happy that my main cooking teacher and the other helper in the room were all keen on tasting it. I was scared that they might not like it, because the taste was actually new to them. So when they all take the first bite, they said that they love the crunch and how sweet the banana is. They also said that it has the right amount of sweetness. I was so happy that they all liked it, and the reason why I was scared was that it was my first time cooking it without any help from my mum. Well, I only helped her, but I'm not the one who willfully does everything. I was happy with the compliments they gave us and even my friends also liked the texture, the appearance, and the taste.

My stakeholder comment: She said that she likes it and the fact that it was crunchy on the outside, and they love how the banana was also sweet and soft also it was cooked well. They also said that it tastes the same as how their parents cook it, and it has the right amount of sugar.

I had fun making this recipe, and seeing the others like the taste and the texture. I'm also happy that I worked well with Qyn because we both encourage each other, etc...

No comments:

Post a Comment

To support my learning I ask you to comment as follows:
1. Something positive - something you like about what I have shared.
2. Thoughtful - A sentence to let us know you actually read/watched or listened to what I had to say
3. Something helpful - how have you connected with my learning? Give me some ideas for next time or ask me a question.